* Dilute the tamarind pulp in 4 tblsp of water and see that there are no lumps.
* Wash the lentils and bring them to boil in 200 ml water, then simmer.
* When nearly done, mix in turmeric, tamarind water, green chillies, jaggery, peanuts and salt.
* Simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) until dal is cooked.
* Heat up the oil in a small pan, mix in the mustard seeds when they crackle, mix in cumin seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
* Take off the heat up after a minute and pour out the oil and spices into the dal.
* Serve hot decorated with coriander leaves.