Potatoes 3/4 lb
onions medium 4 (chopped finely)
bengal gram flour 2 cups (besan)
green chillies 4
A small piece ginger
cloves garlic 4
grated coconut 2 tbsp
Sugar to taste
Juice of one lime
coriander leaves A few sprigs (chopped)
Oil for deep frying
mustard seeds 1 tsp
turmeric powder 1 tsp
red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds 1 tsp
A pinch of soda bi carb (baking soda)
Salt as per taste
* Boil potatoes, peel and slightly mash.
* Blend together the green chillies, garlic and ginger to a fine paste.
* Mix together the potato, onions, ginger and
garlic chilli paste, coriander leaves, sugar, lime
juice and salt to taste.
* Heat a little oil and add the mustard seeds and
* When the mustard crackles, remove from heat
and add to the potato mixture and mix well.
* Make a smooth batter with the bengal gram
flour, salt to taste, cumin seeds,red chilli powder
and turmeric powder.
* Add a teaspoon of hot oil when making the
batter. Let the batter remain thick.
* Divide the potato mixture into equal sized
portions, the size of a lemon.
* Dip each ball in the batter and deep fry till
golden brown in color.