1 1/2 lbs. of ripe tomatoes remove seeds, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
1 Onion chopped
1 Clove of garlic crushed
1 Small red pepper chopped (optional)
4 Cups of vegetable stock
2 oz of tomato paste
1/4 cup of Basil
* Heat the oil in a heavy pan, cook the onion, garlic and red pepper till soft.
* Add the tomato and cook another 10 minutes.
* Add the tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste.
* Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
* Allow to cool slightly and put the mixture in a blender until it is smooth.
* Return to the pan and heat gradually.
* Add the fresh basil to the tomato soup, cook 2 minutes and serve.